Saturday, February 25, 2012

Food for the Soul

While we are visiting in different countries we like to eat the local food. I learned that I love cabbage when cooked the Czech way, and that polish dumplings are delicious. When we went to Italy a few years back we were treated to some of the most delicious home cooked meals, so much food to fill and over fill a hungry soul.

Germans are not famous for their delicious food, but while in Germany my husband cannot get enough currywurst with pommes frites covered in mayonnaise. We went to a gaust haus for a quick lunch last week and my mouth is still watering over the yummy mashed potatoes they served me.

When we visit my son Michael we enjoy the fresh doughnuts for breakfast. At Cara's we enjoy SAS cupcakes. The yogurt at Shawna's comes in a jar and is smooth and yummy.

Food is a great way to gather people and make a memory. Long after the experience is over you can recall the taste and smell, remembering people, places and conversations.

I love to cook for my family, gathering them around my grandmothers table, serving up a slow cooked roast dripping in gravy with creamy mashed potatoes on the side.

Shawna and I were talking about meal planning the other day and favorite foods that the children enjoy. Victoria declared that her favorite food is found in Grandma's kitchen (thank you for the ego boost my beautiful girl). I must agree with her because my memory of favorite childhood foods are those that came out of my grandmother's kitchen--including German Chocolate Cake.

Good food, good memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment