Thursday, August 11, 2011

Family Reunion

My sister and her husband attend a family reunion from his side of the family every year. I remember attending a family reunion or two as a child, we went to the park and played and had a picnic--I enjoyed the twirly slide.

When my daughter comes from Europe I try to get all of my children together for a few days so cousins can bond and siblings can share. She comes about every 3 years unless there are unusual circumstances. Last summer Shawna was with us and I was able to get us all together--not all at once--but one weekend we rotated in and out. Shawna took pictures and published a small book then sent a copy to each family. She called the weekend a family reunion. As I look at the pictures of cousin fun in the sun I remember the joy of having my family together as best we could.

I boasted it as a cousin overnighter. We started in early evening with some lawn games like a water melon spitting contest and a shaving cream slip and slide. We had a barbeque and melted in the summer humidity of the south. My husband and I sent the parents off while we kept the children for a sleepover at grandma and grandpa's. The next morning all families headed in their own directions. That was it: 15 hours, food, family fun and a daughter with insight to make it an event to remember.

This year we had a new baby to bless. We were returning from our Disney adventure with two 8 year olds. Michael and his family drove down from Indiana and met us at the house when we returned. On Saturday four more families showed up one by one.

It was fun to watch the cousins play and figure out their place in the family. Two 4 year olds realized they had a lot in common and had fun dressing up together and stealing everyone's pillows. Babies cooed and gooed together as they scooted around on the floor. Girls got busy drawing and creating, boys had fun at the foosball table. Brothers helped their dad figure out the wiring for the television. Sisters talked about children and coupons. When the children were quiet the cards came out and the laughter started. I enjoyed cooking for the crowd.

We spent a little over 24 hours together. We went to church and welcomed the newest member of the family. There was a circle of 12 worthy men gathered around that new baby, my heart swelled with joy to see the sight. We had 24 members of our family gathered in our home to visit and share.

We were missing one family in body, but they were here in spirit. When the girls were drawing and creating they made an icon for each cousin, colored it, cut it out and taped it to the game room door. When I stopped to look at the creation I realized they put one up for all cousins, for those in Germany and our little angel in heaven, 17 in all.

What is a family reunion? An opportunity to get together and share? When my children make an effort to come it deserves my recognition of their sacrifice to be together. Fun and games, happy memories of family bonding, good food. On Monday I had mountains of laundry to do and piles of hidden treasures to find. I have decided that a family reunion is what happens when my family has the opportunity to reunite after being away from each other. We live states and countries away from each other, but our hearts are knit together. Opportunities like this last weekend are what keep us close even though miles and time separate us.

Building a strong family is hard work that is worth the effort and sacrifice.






No comments:

Post a Comment