Thursday, October 14, 2010

New and Old

I love to acquire a new old thing. Something with a bit of character. Something with some umph to it. An item that has a story to tell.

Yesterday my aunt and cousin took me to a favorite haunt in Southern California, an antique store that has booths FILLED with interesting items to look at, remember and purchase. I bought a well worn quilt last time I was here. This time I looked for something small that would fit in my overfilled suitcase (something about charging for luggage these days so I packed for a 12 day trip in a carry on!!).

My aunt collects colored glass, we had a few pieces to choose from that she liked. I found a few vintage tablecloths--that seems to be my current interest. My cousin enjoyed looking at the antique photographs.

Last week I took a chest of drawers to Indiana for my grandson that date from the 1930's--still sturdy and very usable--once I get them painted and the moth balls do their thing neutralizing the strong stale smell coming from the drawers.

One of my daughters has lately become interested in items from an era older than herself. Up until recently she was drawn to very new items with sleek lines and shiny surfaces, though I think she still likes the sleeker lines rather than the curly ques that I admire in furniture. Together she and I went to an antique store near her home a few weeks ago. It was fun to look at the sturdy furniture with her. Items made to last from real wood. Items with a scratch that has been repaired and a story to tell. Items that will stand the test of growing children.

As my aunt reminded me, it is all about the hunt. Finding that one perfect piece at the perfect price. Taking the item home and cleaning it, running your fingers over the lines to understand the story it tells of an era gone by. Remembering life in a simpler time. Putting the thing to a useful purpose again--breathing new life into the old.

Some things just have to be old enough to be new again. Maybe that is me--am I old enough to be new again?? My aunt is now 80, showing a little age, but yet still able to get around and enjoy a day picking at the flea market or antique store looking for the perfect bargain to add to her collection. What a great day we had enjoying the hunt together.

No comments:

Post a Comment