Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Is a Tub just a Tub?

After ten years I am blessed to have a bath tub once again. It is not a super whirlpool with lights like my friend Phyllis just had put into her home, but it is a 5 foot garden tub with with a ceiling light on a dimmer. My sweetheart calls it the focal point of the bathroom. After 10 years of waiting for our bathroom remodel, I am thankful to have my own bathtub.

The best tub was the one in our last home. It was a 6 foot whirlpool with a nice window. I had two doors between me and the children. It was my late afternoon retreat after a crazy day.

I have been enjoying the tub at my daughters home this last week. Her home in Germany sports a European tub, 6 feet long and slim. As I put my 5'7" body into the tub I have to stretch to keep my head above water.

My mother is a tiny thing at just 5'1" when she was at her tallest. She is planning to use her first ever passport to come visit her granddaughter in Germany. I think of mom's excitement as her dreams are fulfilled and she gets her passport stamped for the first time. After the long flight I know she will want to take a bath and I laugh as I picture how she will slip and slide while she tries not to drown in the longest tub she will ever bathe in.

I ran water this evening and put the two youngest into the tub. They played and giggled as the dirt of the day washed off. I dried them off and dressed them in their jammies while I made a mental picture of their sweet smiles.

A tub for bathing can be a simple bowl of water while camping or a jetted spa with chasing lights. Dirt and grime from everyday living is washed away. When the stress of the day becomes overwhelming, a fresh perspective can be achieved after just 5 quiet minutes of peaceful bliss with warm bubbles jetting around you.

Is a tub just a tub or is it an opportunity for a fresh, clean start?



No comments:

Post a Comment