Friday, March 18, 2011

Off and Running

After 2 plus weeks in Europe we are home again.

The jet lag hits in the mid afternoon beckoning me to a little nap, but the schedule does not allow.

I am home for two and a half days before heading to Charlotte and Connor's baptism. He turned 8 while we were gone and I am excited to go see him and celebrate this milestone in his life.

We celebrated our 38th wedding anniversary the day we returned home. Too tired to celebrate big time, we decided to stay at home and revisited the first meal we cooked together as newly weds--Tacos. They were warm this time, not the ice cold offering I put before my new husband on a box we used as our makeshift table while we sat on the floor.

Mail to sort, laundry to wash, groceries needed and grandchildren to visit. I have next week to put things in order before heading out again--Indiana is the next destination.

I did not realize that this stage of life would be my travel opportunity. I never left the state of California from the time I arrived at age 3 months until I was 16 years old. While raising my children I did not travel too far without them. Now I am gone from home almost more often than I am here. It is wonderful to have the opportunity to do so, because I get to see my children and grandchildren--that is a blessing.

Today I am cooking. Baking bread and beans, making lots of salads for the family meal we will share tomorrow as we gather for Connor's special day.

The question is will we have enough energy to make the 3 hour drive tonight? After making dinner last night I collapsed on the couch at 7pm and fell fast asleep. I will see how we feel this afternoon. I was able to sleep until 6am today--better than the 3 and 4am awakenings of the last two mornings. Better to arrive for the party a little later than planned rather than not arrive at all.

We are coming and happy for the opportunity to see all of our grandchildren this week. They may live in many different time zones, but this week, traveling grandparents are up for the fun. Save a place at the table for me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment