Monday, April 4, 2011

Pancakes

And the winner is......

the young man who can consume 9+ thick and flaky pancakes in one meal

When baby Caroline was in the hospital Dallin was 3 and Ella not quite 2. It was a difficult time for the whole family. They moved just before Caroline was born, and it was a 10 hour drive. The children came to stay with us a few times and I made many trips to their home during that one memorable year.

We ate a lot of pancakes together, it was a meal they enjoyed that would fill their tummies up. In the 6 years since that time, whenever we are together, Dallin and Ella always ask for pancakes.

I don't think Dallin realizes why he likes pancakes so much. I don't think I realized why until I started really thinking about it during this visit. It is his form of comfort food for the soul. To comfort his soul I have made pancakes every morning since I got here.

On Thursday we were running late so I had him buy lunch at school. Little did I know that the menu for the day was breakfast for lunch--pancakes.

On Friday I decided to take the children out for dinner to one of Dallin's favorite places--Bob Evans. It is convenient--just down the street and reasonably priced. I was thankful to have a choice besides mac and cheese, we were all happy. The two boys looked over the picture menu and both ordered.....pancakes.

This morning I fired up the grill and started flipping the pancakes. Dallin downed 6 large and fluffy ones with home made syrup so fast I had to blink twice. Yesterday he downed the first four off the grill and the second 5-- for a total of 9. It would have been 10 but I got sloppy and accidentally dropped one.

If I can keep a young boy happy while his parents are away by flipping pancakes, I'll flip as many pancakes as it takes to fill him up, both body and soul.

Dallin has been so tired while I have been here, I think he might be growing--but then maybe it is just a carbohydrate overload.





No comments:

Post a Comment