Friday, May 6, 2011

Strawberries

Sometimes good living gets in the way of better living.

It is spring--finally.

Time to wash bed linens and change out heavy quilts for lighter blankets.
Time to wash windows and clean light fixtures.
It is time to throw open those clean windows and let the fresh air in.
Time to take notice of the garden and get your hands dirty.
Time to move the furniture away from the wall and vacuum the dark corners.
Time to pick some strawberries and put some in the freezer for next years cold, dark days.

Last week my sweetheart and I took two buckets and headed out to the local strawberry patch. In less than a half hour we filled those buckets and headed home. The berries were beautiful, large and flavorful. In an hours time we had them cleaned, sliced, sweetened and sitting in our freezer. We made 7 quarts this trip. That makes it about $2.30 a quart for a touch of spring in the dead of winter.

This morning I took a spoonful of the ruby red sweetness and spooned it right onto a warm bowl of oatmeal. Topped it off with some yogurt and a few walnuts--YUMMMM--dessert for breakfast.

This next week we have a date with our son and his wife to go pick some more. My sweet daughter in law is due to deliver her baby in 3 weeks. My mother went strawberry picking just before I was born--I am praying she comes early--will this be the trick??

Strawberries--they make me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment