Friday, July 8, 2011

Aging

We purchased our fixer upper house 12 years ago. We were at a crossroad in raising our family. All of a sudden we had 3 married children and another daughter with diamonds in her eyes. Our two youngest were both in high school and the only children still living at home. The big 6 bedroom house that we had when everyone was living at home was no longer needed. Plus, after 3 weddings in 18 months our finances could use a smaller drain.

We sold our big family home to a friend with 7 children and they still love the kid friendly house. We finally found this house after a long search and almost giving up. It was smaller than we wanted but had potential. The house was sturdy and would provide opportunities for our two young sons to learn some home improvement skills. One bonus that we had looked for, was land, our home sits on 6 acres with a stream and small orchard that the deer love. After plenty of negotiations the price was right and our adventure began.

We purchased the house and spent a month cleaning and refurbishing before we could move in (on the hottest day of the year). We figured we were not going to get any younger and we probably had just enough energy left to remodel one more house. With the help of our children we have built a deck, remodeled the kitchen and a bathroom, built a road and some sheds as well as turning the garage into living space with a front door and porch.

The project we started this week is the laundry room that also doubles as a pantry. It is a wonderful room that houses a washer, dryer and a freezer as well as an extra refrigerator. This room is center to the workings of the household that you must walk through to reach my sewing room--another wonderful room that makes my life easier.

We found tile on sale and decided a tile floor would be nice. Last weekend after moving out all of the appliances into the kitchen and dining room we started laying the sub floor, backer board and finally the tile. We worked and worked for two days. About 10 pm on Saturday night I looked at the 20 or so tiles we had left and decided I just could not do any more. My husband agreed that finishing these few tiles on another day would be to our benefit.

We had grand intentions of coming home on the 4th and quickly putting down the last few tiles but my body ached. Over the weekend I found it difficult to stand, sit, bend over, walk, breathe, sleep, move or be still. My sweetheart and I are realizing that we have aged quite a bit over the last 12 years and it might be time to finish this fixer upper project.

Today we are starting another two day stint on the room. First we will paint and work on the shelving and if there is enough energy, tomorrow evening we will put down those last few tiles. When I look at the empty space where the tiles belong my ankles quiver and my knees go weak.

We can mark the birth of our grand children by the house projects we were tackling at the time. The first three, Dallin, Logan and Victoria inspired the kitchen remodel for a safer cooking situation. The front room was inspired by Ella and Connor and the need for a larger room to gather our growing family in. We were working on the front porch when Alexandra, Cooper and Caroline were born. We were in the middle of the bathroom remodel when Bella joined our family and baby Preslee and her mama loaned Kevan to us last weekend for the tile and floor adventure.

I guess it is time to stop talking about the fun awaiting the 36 hours ahead and just get to it. The paint is a pretty color--not quite grey or pink or beige or lavender--sort of taupe. White shelves and cabinets, a new freezer (to replace the green one we have had for 34 years) will be delivered next week and will want a finished floor to stand on. Fun, fun, fun---ohhh, steady my knees--you will survive.

1 comment:

  1. Has it really been 12 years??!! Can hardly believe it. . .
    Although we're in a new house, I find I keep putting off some of the projects I need to finish up in order to have everything out of boxes and in better order. I think I keep putting it off because I know we'll be moving again in two or three years. I need to just do it so I can enjoy the time I have here to the fullest.
    So glad you're able to finish up those things on your list.

    ReplyDelete