Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Independence Delight

We shared a wonderful weekend at our daughter's home. She invited us to come celebrate Independence Day with her and her family. She told us it would be a quiet weekend, a simple cookout and plenty of time to just relax.

After all of our travel of late, and the mess we have made of the house in the effort to redo the laundry room and pantry, a few quiet hours at her lovely home sounded most welcome.

I have enjoyed watching my daughter grow up and mature. She is creative and has quite the artful eye. Her home is happy and joyful. I love spending time with her. Her family is active and busy doing the normal things a happy family does.

Now, when you tell me we are going to cookout for the Fourth of July I think of hot dogs and hamburgers with sides of potato salad, watermelon and baked beans. Little did I guess of the feast that awaited.

I love to cook for my family. I feel happy when they come to visit and find me in the kitchen, apron on and the stove working hard with a pile of dishes on the counter in some stage of cleanliness. At the end of the day I am tired, tummies are full, children are content and smiles abound. That is a good day for me and a happy memory of when I used to go to grandma's house.

When we arrived at Cara's on Sunday evening dinner was waiting on the table. Fresh made Lava Cake was served for dessert--YUM. We ended the evening teaching the new card game we learned at the family reunion. A delightful day.

On the Fourth I woke up to the smells of a busy kitchen--scones for breakfast--a tradition handed down from my grandmother. As we finished breakfast the first of the cookout treats started to show up as the timer called us to rescue the cupcakes from the oven. Then the second layer to the 3 layer jello surprise was added and the crab salad was started. The cupcakes were not just frosted, they were also a bit of eye candy in the presentation. Baked beans were on the menu for tradition and delightful cooked mushrooms topped the steaks that were perfectly grilled by the grillmaster. This was a feast to rival those I have tasted over the years prepared by trained chefs.

Kevan and Brooke brought their new baby to share the day with us. Greg's mom came and together we enjoyed hours of play with the grandchildren. Eden won a hand of War and Connor stuck in there until the final card was played in another card duel. We taught Grammy the new family game and had fun playing all afternoon, smiling and content as a happy satisfied family can be. Ada and Preslee enjoyed a few quiet moments with their mothers, cooing a gooing as they nursed, completing the family picture.

We set off a few fireworks before the weather changed and we had to begin the journey home, facing work and real life again tomorrow. It was a delightful weekend with a fabulous feast. Happy people, full tummies, a tired mommy, wonderful memories.

I am so thankful for the privilege of living in a free country. I am thankful for those who work to keep us safe. I am thankful for home and family. I am thankful for memories filled with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment