Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Changes

Happy New Year

The changing of the calendar always signals a chance to take a good long look at your life and where it is going.

I remember taking this opportunity the year I turned 12. For Christmas that year my grandmother gave me a 5 year diary. I remember writing in that diary consistently and occasionally over the next few years.

Another goal I made that year was to read my scriptures. I decided to start with the New Testament--I got as far as the first page and all of the begats and thought this was the most boring of books and would take a lot of effort to keep going. Little did I know the hours I would spend over the next 40+ years pouring over those pages, finding small passages to lighten my way.

This year is the same as every year since I turned 12: A desire to keep up with my journal more frequently, read and study my scriptures more fully, and a goal I added about 15 years ago--lose a few pounds.

I am thrilled about the prospect of keeping up with these goals. I get excited when I think about how 'easy' it will be to do.

You may be asking yourself what change has happened to make me think that I might be able to accomplish these goals more easily than in previous years??

Life goes on every day in a routine or pattern. We try to make changes in that pattern, make a new habit, and sometimes we can, but a disturbance in our routine--sickness, vacation--and our new habit can be lost.

Tomorrow is my husband's last day at work. He is retiring from going to the office every day. He is taking on a new full time job, that of husband, father and grandfather with a little time for himself thrown in for good measure.

We have been drafting a daily schedule to help us make those life changes we have wanted to do but there were not enough hours in the day to do them. We have scheduled things like spiritual study and exercise written on the daily planner with the morning routine, right along side of shower and shave.

Our daughter is excited to help her father figure out the joys of couponing. He received a do-dad for Christmas that will help him turn all of his slides into digital pictures, he has always loved photography, I hope he picks up the hobby again. He has asked if taking a nap can be added to the schedule--of course.

While exercise is not at the top of his happy list, eating is, and I reminded him that if he adds a half hour walk to his daily routine he can lose 20 pounds in a year by not changing anything else. That seemed to make him happy, now it is up to me to prepare meals that are more vegetables than carbohydrates--a challenge I am excited to take on.

Making this giant change has been a difficult decision for him, he has worked since he was 15. I keep telling him that he is not quitting work, he is lightening his stress level and freeing up some time to tackle full time the most important job he has ever had, that of father.

I am excited about the changes in our lives and the opportunities it is opening up for us.

We have a long list of things to accomplish this year: A bathroom to remodel and a wood floor to lay, landscaping details in the yard that need attending as well as piles and stacks to be sorted.

But first, we promised ourselves years ago that on the day he retired we would get in the car and drive across country, to go places we have never been and see things we have never seen. We would go slow and simple, drive a few hours then choose a place to stay, not giving ourselves any deadlines. We have had 40 years of deadlines. It is time to take some time for us--time to fall in love again and plan for the next 20 years.

Exercise, scripture study and journal entries are on the list of goals for the year as well as home improvement projects. Our calendar if full of places to go and people to see as well as responsibilities we have committed to. It will be an exciting year full of changes and opportunities to start again.

Before we get in the car on Thursday we decided to walk around the lake first--that should start us off on a good foot.

Change is a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. Didn't know Dave was retiring. Big changes ahead. (I'm a little terrified of that phase of our lives, actually.) Your slow journey across the country sounds like a wonderful way to begin! Happy Trails!!

    ReplyDelete