Thursday, June 2, 2011

Cars

I am visiting my daughter in Germany these next two weeks. Today we were at the gas station and a white 60's vintage Mustang convertible was parked next to us. While my son in law pumped the gas I watched the car and thought of one of the first times I remember seeing my husband. I was helping at a friends wedding reception. After the reception there was a group in the parking lot and I remember seeing this guy pushing his Mustang to get it started. That was my soon to be sweetheart and his soon to be departed car--He has mourned the loss of that car ever since.

The other day I was driving down the highway and a new red Camero pulled out next to me. It looked and sounded beautiful on the road and reminded me of Jim Taylor from my graduating high school class and the beautiful red Camero he used to drive. He was a nice guy and I liked his car.

While I was still sitting in the family van at the gas station the owner of the Mustang sauntered over and climbed into the car. It was an odd sight to see in Germany--not very many American cars on the road here. As he started the car I heard the low rumble of the engine and smiled to myself, maybe with a bit of a wistful sigh. As the car started to pull away I heard my 3 year old granddaughter in the back seat quietly say "I wish I can have a car like that."

It is always nice to have a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment