Sunday, June 12, 2011

Summer Dresses

As I have been staying with the grandchildren while their parents are away I got out the sewing machine and got busy. I brought the fabric and pattern with me. Simple little dresses that look like a bowl of rainbow sherbert. Four of them from sizes 2-10 for four little blondes that are ready for summer fun.

As I was cutting the dresses out, trying to match the stripes, my daughter asked if I could also make head scarfs for the girls. Then she mentioned curtain dresses and a singing family from Austria. I guess we are a close neighbor since we are in Germany--any way I hope they will be fun summer play dresses.

As I was finishing them up I realized they would need a slip under them and the girls did not have slips. I was here without transportation or resources--only my imagination. I remember one time when we were traveling and the children were small. One of my daughters forgot her slip and a slip was needed for the dress she was wearing. I took a pillowcase, undid the top seam and pinned two pieces of ribbon to hold it up--got the job done. As I thought I remembered some extra plain white sheets that were here when they arrived, before their own things showed up. One small sheet should be enough for 4 little slips.

As the girls dressed for church today they looked so sweet--almost delicious walking along in their simple summer dresses. We wouldn't want their brother to feel left out so he put on his orange tie to match their dresses. When we got home the girls put on their scarfs and Max donned his new orange t shirt.

Shawna returns home tonight from a few days R&R with her sweetheart. The grand children and I have had a wonderful time. I need to pack my bag again for my return trip on Tuesday. I will miss being here but I know each time the girls put on their summer dresses they will remember the fun time we had making them and that their grandma loves them.

1 comment: