Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Every Day

Most of you that know me know that for a few years--25--I have been quite ill. When they removed my thyroid they also removed my parathyroid. Your parathyroid helps you manage calcium which along with other things helps you manage stress. I have 6 children--enough said!! Now after 25 years and a great doctor I have finally come to a regiment of living which helps me go about life fairly well. I have learned that I need to:
  • eat balanced meals
  • take prescribed meds
  • get enough sleep

A few years ago, as the children started to become more self sufficient, I was at a cross roads. As I prayed for direction I felt this overwhelming inspiration for healthy living that would help me personally continue to live a healthy life as I began to age. It was quite simple, 3 things added to the three basics I already needed:
  • Read scriptures every day
  • go for a walk every day
  • go to the temple weekly

I have tried to stay on that regiment for 10 years. Last Sunday at Church was our ward conference. As our Stake Relief Society President--Stephanie Daniels spoke I was struck by her simple counsel for happy living: Say your prayers morning, evening and night, read the Book of Mormon at least 5 minutes every day and SMILE--The Holy Ghost cannot dwell with a grump!!

I remember about 25 years ago when we were in the throws of my illness, My youngest was a new baby and I had 5 other children under 10 years old. We were so poor we only had $25 a week for groceries to feed us all, we had just moved across the country and I was COLD. Something happened and I started laughing--I realized that it had been quite a long time since I had laughed. What a difference it made. Laughter and smiles lighten your load and brighten your day. So now I add to my list of every day li
ving:

  • SMILE--The Holy Ghost cannot dwell with a grump!!




3 comments:

  1. Dang I have the smile part down....now if only I can master the other ones

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these thoughts you've shared, Marta - and love what you've done to the look of your blog! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete