Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Me all by 'meself'

We have our grand daughter staying with us right now. Eden is 3 and a joy to have in our home. She is quick to remember thank you and please. She likes to count every thing and wants to help. Yesterday she washed a sink full of dishes--truly an automatic dishwasher if ever I saw one--I didn't even have to load it I just ran some water and watched her go.

When our second oldest was the same age her favorite words were "Me all by 'meself'" At that time I had 4 children aged 4 to newborn. No one was really old enough to put on their own shoes let alone bathe themselves. My life was filled with diapers, runny noses and the ever growing pile of unmatched little socks.

As I watch Eden struggle to do something she has declared she could do without assistance I think of all the times I too have declared that I could do it all by 'meself' when really truly I did need help.

Young in life I learned that two sets of hands doing a job is much more pleasant than struggling along on your own. When the children were all so little I was thankful when my sweet husband would come home and help with dinner, baths, stories, prayers and bedtime.

I guess the trick is to recognize when we need help. Not necessarily just the physical tasks but the emotional and spiritual tasks. Remembering to go down on my knees and pray about a situation rather than to keep trying to do it all by 'meself'.

I have learned that women solve their problems by talking about them--not desiring anyone to really fix the problem or do the task for them, but just allowing me--us--the opportunity to talk and see the bigger picture. I have also learned, after 37 years of marriage, that my husband is not a mind reader--darn--sometimes I don't even know what I want--how can I express it to him??

How do I know when to do it by 'meself' and when to ask for and accept help?? Does humility have something to do with it??

Today's thought comes from John Greenleaf Whittier:

Thee lift me, and I lift thee, and together we ascend

Gotta go--Eden is calling me to share her tea time....










1 comment:

  1. I miss her so much! Give my sweet baby kisses and and save some tea for me!

    ReplyDelete