Monday, July 19, 2010

Diapers

Today is laundry day. I love washing the clothes and making everything clean again. My daughters have amazing throw away diapers for their babies, however, when they were babies I had to rinse out and wash those awful things. Something magical happened somewhere between putting those really dirty items into the washer and retrieving them from the clothesline at the end of the day. It was a joy to fold the sweet smelling diapers and stack them ready for service again. I am thankful for wonderful machines that take filth and make it clean and sweet.

When we went to Italy with our son and Azerbaijan with our daughter it was a common sight to see laundry hanging from the side of the building, billowing in the breeze. It was a sign of everyday people taking care of everyday tasks. It made me happy to see it. My kids thought I was silly to take pictures of other peoples laundry blowing in the wind, but laundry has been a part of my life for 40 years. Clean clothes are a good reward for a job well done. I don't have to wash our clothes by hand, I have a machine. I don't have to hang mine out to dry anymore, unless I choose to, I have a machine.

Our lesson in church yesterday was on the Atonement and the gift of repentance. As I do the laundry today (putting the dirty items in with the soap and watching the water work its magic) I am thankful for the gift of repentance--where the mistakes we make in life can be washed clean. The price has already been paid, all we have to do is recognize the need and take action.

I enjoy laundry day. I like clean clothes and sweet smelling babies. Everyday work for everyday people. Just like repentance.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post, Marta!! I, too, take pictures of laundry hanging on clotheslines. . .

    ReplyDelete