Monday, July 26, 2010

First Born

Thirty six years ago--2 days after I left my teens--I became a mother, a career to last the rest of my life. My first born, a daughter, was born on a Saturday afternoon in Southern California. My husband and I were ecstatic. She was beautiful and perfect and changed our lives forever.

When she was little she could not manage dirt. Just a spot of grime and the clothes had to be changed. When she was a teenager she became the self appointed 'fashion police' of the whole household. With her own sense of style she would regularly paint her fingernails each a different color and her signature outfit was a pair of bermudas with patterned tights.

In her twenties she ventured across Europe and Scandinavia with a girlfriend, sleeping who knows where. She has always had a sense of adventure, then she met Sean and her adventure really took off. Now she has 4 beautiful daughters and a son of her own. There is always something happening that keeps their place hopping. Active, curious children exploring and creating chaos and joy is the norm of the day.

Shawna is a contented mother, patient and gentle with the antics of her brood. She travels regularly with all of the little ones and does it with style. Last fall, when she was 8 months pregnant, she came on a 24 hour flight, by herself, with her 4 little ones. She managed well and I was proud of her.

Together, Sean and Shawna live an amazing life filled with as much as they can handle. There is never a dull moment in the Flanabode as they go about their Flanaventures.

Thank you Shawna, for the richness you have added to my life. Happy Birthday Sweetheart.

No comments:

Post a Comment