Thursday, July 8, 2010

PRIDE

We went to the community fireworks display the other evening. There were 15 of us--8 were children. It was a wonderful evening. The weather was warm without being hot. The music was inspiring and the fireworks were beautiful--I saw a new one--heart shaped.

The best thing about the evening was watching the children get so excited. The two year old was the best. She could hardly contain herself. She was marching and leading the music. She was singing and squealing. Her eyes were bright with amazement. She could feel the joy of the celebration.

I am proud to be an American. I have enough stamps in my passport that I have something to compare home to and I always feel elated when they tell me "Welcome Home." (Maybe that is because I am so tired from traveling--but, that is a different story)

The United States is not perfect. My community over regulates sometimes. Other communities don't regulate enough. Some people are mean and selfish. Some people are lazy and sloppy. Our laws are not perfect and our leaders make mistakes.

BUT....

I have the right to choose. I have the right to vote and my vote counts. I have the right to express my happiness and displeasure. I have rights. I am thankful for men who were courageous and willing to risk everything to write the constitution and set up a government with checks and balances. I am thankful for those who fight to keep our country free today. I am proud to be an American.

I try to express my pride in my country by the way I take care of my home, treat my neighbor, and express my views at the voting booth. We can't all be like the two year old and let the emotion pour out in squealing delight, but we can show it by our choices and deeds.

I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN

No comments:

Post a Comment