Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Napkins

I have a place on my counter in my kitchen where a stack of cotton napkins reside. I pull them out for meals and snacks. After use I throw them in with the laundry. They are always there, ready to use.

I have a basket of paper, throw away napkins as well. I use these for sack lunches and as a quick wrap up for a popsicle or sandwich to go outside with the little ones. I use these when I don't care what happens.

When the children were younger and we were on a tight budget (when haven't we been on a tight budget??) I decided to use cloth napkins to cut costs. Everyone had a few napkins made from fabric of their favorite color. At meal time these would come out and be used. It took time to make and care for them, but after the initial cost they were free to use.

When my daughter got married and we served 200 people a sit down dinner we made 200 white cloth napkins with a lace edge. We wrapped the 200 knives, forks and spoons in them and tied it all neatly with a red ribbon. It was a little detail that made her wedding special.

For a few years I served a Christmas luncheon to the ladies in my neighborhood and friends from church. For that event I made 75 red gingham napkins. I have plenty of cloth napkins around to use for different occasions.

I have grown to enjoy the classiness of using a cloth napkin. Life can get common place sometimes. Using a cloth napkin helps me recognize that meal time is a special time for families to get together and enjoy each others company. I have noticed that even if the menu is a can of soup, if I set the table pretty, we feel well fed and may linger at the table awhile, enjoying the conversation.

A while back I asked my daughter to set the table for Sunday dinner and handed her a stack of cloth napkins to use. She looked at the napkins, frowned, and asked if we could use real napkins. I thought about what a real napkin might be, rather than the cloth ones she held in her hand. She answered "You know, the paper ones we can throw away."

As I iron the napkins for special days and launder and fold our everyday ones, I smile at my daughters notion that paper napkins are real napkins. As I think about it, I realize she was raised in a throw away society where the real thing has been substituted for something you can throw away. That speaks a lot to me about where the young leaders of today are coming from.

Thoughts to ponder for today. What is real and what is disposable?? From table service to marriage.

It makes you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment