Sunday, August 29, 2010

Grandma

Welcome to Day 4 of Birthday Week in August.

Today I take time to recognize my Grandmother, Beatrice Kent Kidman. When I was a young woman my grandmother was my ideal and in many ways she still is.

She was raised in Blacksmith Fork, Utah on a dry farm. She had a younger brother, Otto. Her parents were Nellie VanLueven and Jesse Clarence Kent. She met my grandfather, Lewis Rudolph Kidman, in Logan, Utah when she was 16. When she was 18 she ran into him again, they began dating and were soon married. They raised 5 children, my father is their second son and 4th child. I learned many things from my Grandma:

Never judge a book by it's cover: Grandpa was 12 years older and a divorced man in Utah, not a desirable situation to be in. He suggested she would not want to date him and she let him know she knew enough to decide for herself. They were married 42 years. They lived a very happy life together.

Use it up, wear it out. Make it do or do without: Grandma was thrifty with all that she had. She regularly taught me about lessons she learned while raising her family during the depression.

Where there is heart room there is house room: Grandma raised her family in a small 3 bedroom, one bath house. She welcomed all of her large family into that cozy home for get togethers. Even as a young bride with 6 children of my own I remember being welcome into grandma's home. There was always enough room and more for all who crossed her doorstep.

Laughter makes everything easier: Grandma loved to tell stories and laugh and laugh about plain old life's experiences. My aunts often remarked about the 'Kidman cackle'. To tell the truth I hear it sometimes at my house when the family is gathered around the dining room table telling stories.

Love makes the cooking taste sweeter: I learned to cook in Grandma's small kitchen. She always had cookies and pies ready to eat. Sunday dinner was scrumptious. She would get up at 4am to put in the 30 pound bird on Thanksgiving. Her mashed potatoes were heavenly. After visiting I was always sent home with a jar of frozen peaches for my daddy. I am still trying to replicate her home made rolls, served with melted butter and home made jam.

If a job is worth doing--do it well: I remember going to Grandma's to help her clean one day. My task was to dust the dining room furniture. I thought I was finished but she called me back and had me get under the table and dust the runners between the legs. Now that dining room table graces my home and when I dust I think of grandma's standard of cleaning.

Faith is learned: Grandma was a great example of spirituality to me. She could always be found reading her scriptures, writing thoughts in her journal, going to the temple. Grandpa was the Stake Patriarch and she helped him do his calling well. She was a wonderful teacher to both the women and youth at church.

Everything grows with a little love: Grandma had a green thumb and her garden flourished. I spent many hours up the mullberry tree surveying her pretty flower beds. The grand children flourished at her home as well, we grew up as siblings with aunts and uncles to discipline and direct, grandma to love and nurture. It was a happy home filled with love. I felt safe there.

Happiness makes the workload lighter: With her large family to cook for there were always lots of dishes to be washed. Grandpa would settle into his chair and quickly fall asleep while the children played and the aunts set to tidying up the kitchen. That is where I was, in the kitchen, listening to the stories, enjoying the laughter of women working together to take care of the task at hand. With many hands helping and visiting, soon the task was done. It was a joy to work together.

Grandma was born in 1904, today she would have been 106. She passed away in 1995 after spending the last 30 years of her life as a widow. I often miss her, especially when all of my children come to visit. She made it look so easy. I keep trying, I hope she is proud of me.

I love you grandma, Happy Birthday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment