Monday, December 27, 2010

Home Improvement

I know there are many in our society who rush to the store on these days between Christmas and New Year to get the best deal.

I guess my husband and I are like that as well--we rush to the home improvement store to get the items needed for the project we hope to accomplish in these few days off work.

This week we are prodded along by a great deal on appliances-- you see, as I have gotten older I find myself kneeling on the kitchen floor alot. I am always on my knees as I look through my refrigerator to find the item I need that is invariably on the bottom shelf, in the back. It is getting more difficult to reach down into the fridge and I want to get up off the floor.

Our daughter called last month to tell us that the refrigerator I have been wanting for years was on sale--with the stove, dish washer and microwave as well--all for the price of the fridge. YEA!! My sweetheart took me over to look and we decided the deal was just right for us and scheduled the delivery date for the week between Christmas and New Year to give ourselves time to get ready.

Now you may ask yourself, "what do you need to do??--the item comes and you plug it in--no biggie". Ah, that may be how it is at your house, but I like to do things the hard way. The space for our fridge was too narrow for the modern wide beauty we chose, necessitating widening the wall, or narrowing the opening from kitchen to family room, and changing out a cabinet. While we are at it, maybe we should put a new coat of paint on the cabinets and change the wall color. Our beautiful wood floor looks a bit thirsty, maybe we should give it a quick recoat at well.

So now you know what my sweet husband puts up with and how my crazy brain works. He is happy that this year he still gets to sleep in his own bed in his own bedroom--last years project did not afford him that privilege. The big inconvenience this year is that the stove left out the front door a few days before the new one comes in--microwave meals are quick and easy when you are covered from head to toe with paint.



No comments:

Post a Comment