Thursday, December 16, 2010

-Tears

Christmas 5 years ago we received a urgent telephone call from Ryan Brew, a young man in our church congregation. He had been fighting cancer for quite a few years and was finally in remission--or so we thought. On this particular day, just before Christmas, he had a terrible back ache and needed my husbands help. As the doctor visits continued over the next few days and onto months I spent quite a few hours with his mother, Pam.

Pam was a wonderful mother to her 5 children and a devoted wife to her husband, Reggie. She took care of them all during this trying time for their family with class and style. As Ryan's final days drew to a close Pam and I cried together as only mothers can. We shared many tender moments as the family tried to heal and continue living while missing Ryan so much.

Two months ago we got word that Pam was now the family member with urgent medical needs. The doctor diagnosed stomach cancer and just hours later Pam's life was forever altered. It has been a rough autumn for the family and this last weekend with her family around her, Pam said goodbye.

Pam Brew was an elect lady. She was kind and loving. She was a supportive wife and loving grandmother. She has 3 daughters that my heart aches for. For weeks we prayed for health and life, at the end we prayed for peace and a quick passing. This life is such a short span of time.

I cried with Pam at Ryan's passing. I cry for the family and myself at Pam's passing. Life is too short. I need to kiss my husband and spend a moment longer hugging my children and grandchildren as I see them over the course of the holiday.

This is the second friend I've lost this year. I guess the flip side of that is the two grandbabies I welcomed into the world in the same span of time. This is the season to stop and recognize our blessings. I was blessed to know a wonderful woman named Pam Brew. Someday I hope to see her again.

May peace of heart encircle her family as they cry this holiday and give them strength to continue on. The world was a better place because Pam Brew made it better for all she knew and loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment