Monday, February 21, 2011

Distraction

Last week I had the opportunity to entertain my grandson for a few hours at my house. He is almost 2 and has never been to my house unchaperoned--either by his parents or siblings. His mama was running late so she placed him in my arms, gave him a kiss and ran.

Then he ran too--for the door--tears streaming down his sweet cheeks.

Cheap trick--There is no crying at grandma's. Had to come up with a distraction quick.

So I ran after him and out the door. Scooped him up into my arms and we walked where he was pointing--down the lane where the car had disappeared.

We did the loop twice and as he laid his head on my shoulder I slowed down and thought he was calm. We went back to the porch to sit on the rocker but, NO DEAL.

Now I have a trick that most grandma's don't--I have 6 acres with woods and a stream. I also know what little boys like, since I am a grandma with experience--so we walked some more.

We walked down the hill and through the woods right up to the stream.

We crossed the stream at a shallow place and put our hands in the water.

We picked up rocks and threw them in the stream.

We picked up sticks and dragged them through the water.

We watched leaves float down the water and get stuck on a protruding branch.

After awhile we ventured up to the playground and sandbox.

Eventually we heard a car coming down the lane and when we investigated we found mom was back.

We had shared a wonderful two hours relaxing by the side of the stream on a beautiful, unusually warm and sunny winter day. We made some memories and cemented our relationship.

Give a boy some water, rocks and sticks and they will be happy for hours.

Put a smile on a little boys face and a grandma will be happy forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment