Monday, February 7, 2011

Is it a Sacrifice??

I've had a few conversations lately about responsibilities and choices. I have to teach a lesson this next Sunday on Sacrifice--putting things of a spiritual nature ahead of other things. I have been doing quite a bit of thinking on the subject.

As I watch my daughters with their children, I see them put the needs of their children above their own. I see them arrange things to make it easier for their husbands. I see them put their own wants and needs in the back and as they do so they are truly becoming kind, nurturing, gentle and unselfish women--I am proud of them.

Sometimes we must put our own wants and needs behind for the greater good of the family or other situation. Sometimes the result is immediate--the baby will stop crying--or it could be years or even a lifetime before you know the outcome of the choices made today.

Neal A. Maxwell had this to say:

"Joshua didn't say to 'Choose you next year whom you will serve.'"

Now it is up to us to decide--today by our own choice or later by circumstances that are placed in our way. If we continue on down the selfish road it seems like the travel is bumpy and unpleasant.
Eventually most of us will learn to put others ahead of ourselves and when we do the world becomes a much nicer place for all involved.

Interesting thoughts: If I put others first does it really put me out that much?? If I continue to force-fit my desires we all seem to be slamming into each other.

Sometimes it is my turn to be first, and I like it. Sometimes it feels good to let another go first, have the biggest piece, do it their way, and when I help that happen I feel good inside and feeling good is not much of a sacrifice.


No comments:

Post a Comment