Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentines Day

Today is the day that our society celebrates love.

When I was little I remember creating valentines for my family and classmates from construction paper and lacy paper doilies. My siblings and I would spend hours over a weeks time creating, with glue and do-dads, the perfect remembrance for each person on our list.

When I finally had someone of my own to love and care for I started creating the perfect valentine from my kitchen--you remember the old saying that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. I would try to cook his favorite meal and would bake a heart shaped cake--usually chocolate. (take note of recipe on the right-->)

The last few years I have baked cookies and decorated them. It is delicious to take a soft butter cookie and add buttercream frosting with a few heart shaped candies with just the right message for each person on my list--usually a preschooler. The cookies just melt in your mouth.

This year I think I will stay away from the oven--and go back to the glue and paper creations of my youth to state my sentiments to the one I love. The bathroom scale at our house is beginning to groan after 38 years of delectable delights this day has to offer. Maybe a calorie friendly meal at a new restaurant and then a romantic walk around the lake.

I have heard it said that you should go into marriage with your eyes wide open and then live your married life with them half shut. I think this is good advice. I found this quote that my sister mentioned years ago and it helps me remember that I married the perfect man, and I am not a perfect woman:

To love someone means to see them as God intended


Happy Valentines Day




No comments:

Post a Comment