Wednesday, May 5, 2010

REWARDS

My grandson paid me a back door compliment the other day.

He told me "Grandma, I sure like you a whole lot better at your house!!"

His mother clarifies the statement meaning that he misses living close enough to come over more often. But as I thought about what he said, he was right,. I like to be the fun grandma.

I did the responsible thing when my kids were young. They ate their vegetables, were encouraged to finish their homework. Please and thank you were common reminders out of my mouth. Bedtime was a routine and a schedule for practicing was set. I did those tasks with my children so they would be healthy, happy and respectful.

Now I am the grandma. If the kids do not want to eat all of their vegetables at grandma's house it is still okay to have ice cream for dessert. If the bell tolls 9pm and we are still awake watching a movie or reading a book it is not panic time. That is my reward for surviving the teenage years with my own children.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more. As exhausting as it can sometimes be to tend grandchildren - the minute we're not with them, we miss them. Nothing is more delightful!
    Love you, Marta. Love your posts!

    ReplyDelete