Monday, May 31, 2010

Tidy It Up

Tomorrow I go to Washington DC to help my daughter and her family take care of things that need to be done before they come to our home for a month long visit. We have been busy preparing our home for 5 small children. My grand kids come to visit regularly but a visit is different than a month long stay with 3 children 4 and under-- I need to be a little baby proof. I am so excited for their visit.

As we have been tidying up we have found lots of fun things-- like the bill of sale from our first house in 1979, certificates from births, baptisms, and ordinations. Old pay stubs, report cards, various lists, notes and dreams. As we looked at these fun things the years just melted away. All of a sudden we were the young couple with four then five and finally six children moving across country every year for four years, on adventures with each other, dragging the poor children along, trying to make it as easy on them as possible. Filling the U-haul, excited for the unknown ahead and sad to leave friends and homes behind.

Yesterday in church the speaker quoted some thoughts on change. Two that I remember were:

Without change there would be a lot of wet babies!!

and

The only thing constant in life is change

I have had fun cleaning, organizing and tiding up things I have not had the opportunity to take care of in a long time. Some of it from neglect (because I would rather be reading a good novel or creating something fun) and some because I have not been home for the last 4 months. Whatever the reason it has been a good walk down memory lane. It feels so good to have my house deeply cleaned and organized.

Right now though, I have 24 hours before our month of adventure and memories begin and I still have a few beds to make. Gotta finish preparing for the adventure of being a full time grandma to 5 cute little ones who will encourage all of the rest of the cousins and aunts and uncles to come and be part of the memories as well. When we all get together there are 28 of us.

It's gonna be a wonderful month.

2 comments:

  1. I've been doing the same thing here. Getting ready for all 17 grandchildren to be here next week when we bless our new twins. I've been a bit melancholy knowing we won't all be together again for a very long time. Why is it so hard to watch our children grow up and move away??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you got it all done.
    I could really use your energy and motivation here on my poor house!

    ReplyDelete