Thursday, January 13, 2011

-Soup

On a cold winter day there is something about a hot bowl of soup.

I did not like soup when I was younger. To this day I prefer thick creamy soups, although I am starting to appreciate a bowl of steaming delight with a variety of tastes and treats swimming in a savory broth.

Tonight I am on my own for dinner. My sweetheart is at a business meeting and I have been busy organizing and cleaning my pantry. My tummy started to remind me it was meal time so I went to the fridge to find a left over or two that might do. I found some leftover veggies and a bit of soup--tossed it all together and warmed it up. Added a piece of homebaked whole wheat bread and a glass of milk--YUMMM. Comfort food for a cold winter night.

My mother gave me a cook book for Christmas--one of those books where everybody submits their favorite recipe. I have had fun reading it and earmarking new recipes to try. In the tips area there was a suggestion to pour vegetable cooking water and left over vegetable pieces into a freezer container. When the container is full add tomato juice and seasoning to make a cost free surprise soup for dinner.

It is just recently that I have started having left overs like that. Seems that I sometimes still cook for an army when there is just a couple eating. I guess I need to find myself a freezer container and start the makings for a pot of surprise soup. Tonight I found left over cabbage and lima beans--strange items for my fridge--but they were requested by my grand daughter--who knew a 9 year old would like lima beans??

After tonight's tastey delight I am excited to find out what the next suprise soup has to offer.

Don't know if I can top lima beans and cabbage.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed this post, Marta. There's almost nothing I love better in winter than making soup! I also really like the idea of freezing the leftovers and veggie broths. We, too, have leftovers that never used to be there. Will have to try that one.

    ReplyDelete