Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Boy Stuff

I teach preschool. Adorable little kids aged 3 and 4. They have a sweet look at the world, usually from the narrow view they have found at home.

Yesterday a little guy in my class, during clean up time, took the basket that doll clothes belong in and tossed it across the room. I quietly asked him to bring it back and put the items that belonged in the basket inside and then put the whole thing away.

Now you are thinking--why does this merit a blog entry??

When he realized what belonged in the basket he burst into tears. He could not possibly bring himself to touch the "girl stuff" that needed to go back in the basket. He is the middle of 3 boys, no sisters. These type of things are foreign to him.

I asked him if he remembered when his little brother was a baby?
Yes.
Did he enjoy having a baby in the house?
Yes.
Did his daddy ever help him or his brothers get dressed?
Yes.
Did his daddy ever cook dinner for them?
NO!!
Daddy never made you a sandwich or hot dog?
Well, he makes us Pancakes!!
These are household things that need to be done whether we are boys or girls, I think you can help take care of our house at school.
(with his shoulders hung) okay :o(

Sometimes the job is not on our list of gender appropriate activities, I know mowing the lawn is not on my list and changing dirty diapers was never on my sweet husbands list. But, occasionally the toilet needs to be plunged and pancakes need to be made. We are here to help each other.

I am thankful I have a husband and sons who have always been willing to mow the lawn and step on the stray bug for me. It has made my life so much easier not having to touch that "boy stuff". Thanks Guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment