Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Spring

It is spring here in the south. That is what the calendar says, though, lately it seems more like summer. We go from COLD to HOT. Not many perfect middle days.

My heritage is from Denmark and other Scandinavian countries. It is COLD there. When my family left their homeland it was to walk across America pulling a hand cart with the few belongings they could fit. Some of them were caught in early snows where many of the company died from starvation and exposure.

I grew up in Southern California. As a youth I did not realize I lived where the weather was mild most of the time. It was there I longed for occasional snow on the ground. Now that I am wiser--meaning I have lived where it snows-- I am thankful I live in the south where the winters are considered mild. I wish we had a few more mild days rather than the extremes, but I'll take a day without having to put on a coat even if it means going from 40 degrees one day to 90 the next.

I guess I need to remember the old phrase--BLOOM WHERE YOU ARE PLANTED. I am planted here. I need to learn to appreciate what HERE has to offer. I will enjoy the blooming flowers the season has to offer and enjoy going without a coat when I can. My mom called and says it is snowing again in Utah. Yes, I choose to bloom right here where I am.

1 comment:

  1. after 20 years of living here you'd think you'd be beyond just blooming and stuck on thoroughly rooted ;)

    ReplyDelete