Saturday, April 24, 2010

Miles and Miles

Since my daughter has been sick I have put quite a few miles on my car. I have been averaging almost 400 miles a week on my weekly commute. I have been driving this round trip for about 2 months. That adds up to about 3200 miles. That is not my record--that would have been the month of July last summer when we drove from NC up to IN down to FL back up to NC on again to IN and into OH then back to NC. We had two grandkids with us for the 4,000 miles --one of the best trips I have ever taken.

My grandmother passed away 3 years ago at the age of 95. She never drove a single mile in her life. She had her first baby in 1936. A lot of women did not drive in those days. But as the years went by she never saw the need to learn. Papa would drive her where she wanted to go. When she needed to travel on her own she used public transportation. I remember riding the bus with Nana back home again after a visit to her house.

As I drive down the road I am amazed how many women my age are on the road. My friend Phyllis drove to Florida by herself for the weekend last week to be with her grand children. Sometimes I wonder if Nana had it right and was really more liberated than we are. She had her own chauffeur for where ever she wanted to go. I look forward to the day that we guide the car to the freeway, program it where we want to be and sit back and let the computer do the work. No more traffic accidents, no more road rage, no more travel exhaustion. Just sit back and relax. Now that will be the day.

2 comments:

  1. I remember driving Nana to get her hair done. She was such a DOLL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I'm looking forward to the day when a plane pulls into the gate and the sides lift up so passengers can exit all at once!! I love your idea about programing cars!! I'm all for that!!

    ReplyDelete