Tuesday, April 6, 2010

soft, fluffy pillow world

I have 2 brothers, 3 sons, a dad and a husband. In my more than 50 years living with and around these men I have learned a few things that make the living sweeter.

When my mom was a young wife there was a popular book out named "Fascinating Womanhood". The book helped women in that generation get what they wanted from the men in their lives. Some of the truths still work today, not only with men but with all people. Truths such as--'You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar'. In common words it means be nice and you will get farther than being direct, gruff, mean, sharp, foul--and so on.

You've heard the phrase that a little girl has her daddy wrapped around her little finger. That could work for big girls too--all you need to do is ask nicely and smile--most men will do whatever they can for a woman if you just ask nicely.

Another truth--don't be demanding. My mom used to say that she would mention an idea to my dad, wait a while, let the idea take root then pretty soon my dad would have the best idea to make things nice for mom. She usually got what she wanted or needed just by quietly mentioning it and then being patient while he thought about it awhile.

I've heard it said and realize that we have enough of harshness in the world today. What we need is a little more softness, gentleness, kindness. Think big soft fluffy pillow words and actions.

I would like a retaining wall in front of my house. I started mentioning it last spring, it just might get built this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment