Tuesday, April 20, 2010

MICHAEL

My oldest son had his birthday over the weekend. He has turned into a fine man that I am very proud of. I watch him with his wife and children and my heart swells with joy to see how their family works--like a well oiled machine.

Michael is a problem solver, a hard worker and a finisher. He was building a swingset for the children with his limited free time. It got dark but he had not yet finished his goal for the day so he took a flash light and taped it to his hat so he could see.

I had a conversation with my plumber the other day (my plumber?? who knows their plumber this well?? a story for another day...) and we were talking about sports. I told him that Michael was a champion wrestler. He said when he wrestled he learned that wrestling was an endurance sport. Michael wrestled all 4 years of high school, the first two as the youngest and smallest on the team--always on the bottom. Then he figured it out, grew up some and spent the next two as a champion. Sometimes as a problem solver you have to figure out the problem from the bottom before you can be the finisher on top.

When I was pregnant with Michael I was very sick. I almost lost him, but after some bedrest and lots of prayer he finally arrived. He was a problem solver, hard worker and finisher even before he was born. When he was little his first words to me every morning were "what's for breafass??" Even then he knew that in order to finish you have to start the day right.

I sent a small package to Michael for his birthday. A tool for his ongoing adventures as a homeowner, one of his father's favorite tools--a head light. It is a great tool. Puts the light right where you want it when you need it. I hope he enjoys the freedom this new tool offers. Now he is free to figure out and solve all of the new problems that will arise as he balances family, church and work.

I love you Michael <3

1 comment:

  1. I love you too Michael! Love your one and only baby sister ;)

    ReplyDelete