Friday, March 26, 2010

bloomin' trees

For our anniversary when we were married for 27 years my sweetheart and I planted a redbud in our yard where we can see it from our family room window. Every year one of the first things to bloom in our yard is our redbud tree. It has purple flowers and it looks beautiful.

When my son left for two years to go to Italy I knew my only way to communicate with him would be weekly letters and a telephone call at Christmas and on Mothers day. As a little boy he loved forsythia's with their yellow blooms. When he left us at the beginning of spring I planted a forsythia in the yard and knew that when it bloomed for the 3rd time he would be home again.

When my granddaughter passed away 5 years ago I needed new memories of beginnings and beauty. I planted a sweet almond next to the playground in my back yard. It blooms with pale pink flowers that look very delicate and fresh. I love how it flowers where the children play.

This week as I drove down the highway there was a little town that I passed through that had the streets lined in white booming trees. It was almost heavenly driving down that stretch of road.

I am so glad for the change of season and the blooming trees that remind us that grey days will pass and flowers and butterflies will come to brighten our path.

When ever I am down, discouraged, frustrated and feeling forlorne I think of my mothers reminder to me--"This too shall pass".

I am glad for pretty flowering trees that remind us that the grey days will pass, but sometimes I wish the flowering pretty days could stay a little longer. Is that why artificial flowers are popular???

No comments:

Post a Comment