Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A TRIP WORTH TAKING

Yesterday I drove from Cary to Charlotte.

After a few trips down I-85 fighting the traffic for over 3 hours we knew we needed to find a new way to go if we were to ever visit our daughter and her family again after they moved.

Now we take the scenic route--down the road less traveled. There are a few stop signs, and for a stretch, just one lane in each direction, but boy, the sights are wonderful. The pace is slower, yet the outcome is less than a 3 hour drive. Win/Win

As we go along there are beautiful homes that we pass in Rockingham and Monroe. Large gorgeous homes that make you think of what life was like when these now sleepy towns were wide awake.

I grew up in a house that was 100 years old. It had 6 bedrooms and 3 baths as well as 12 layers of wallpaper that needed to be stripped off. There were the 4 kids with mom and dad and lots of fun memories that lived in that house. It was located in the sleepy town of Yucaipa, California. There were 4 stop signs up the boulevard. It was a wonderful place to grow up.

I guess part of the draw to drive down the road less traveled is the opportunity to think and remember what life was like when I was young.

Yet....

I truly enjoy living my life today. I love the wonderful town I live in. I love the twists and turns my life has taken, some have been difficult road blocks to get around, but still--LIFE is GOOD. I think the opportunity to be a wife, mother and grandmother as well as the daughter and sister I always was has stretched and enriched me.

I like taking the road less traveled with it's slow pace and breath taking views. Some would think it boring, I find it inspiring. The best part of the drive is the sweet smiles, excited laughter and hugs from the grand kids.

I have discovered that no matter whether the drive is 7 miles or 12 hours--

Grandchildren are a destination worth driving toward.

1 comment: