Friday, March 5, 2010

LAUNDRY

I've been staying with my daughter and her family this week trying to help out so Greg can get some time in at the office. My husband and I were here 2 weeks ago while Cara was in the hospital. During that stay my husband did about 8 loads of laundry and I folded them all. I went home and did about 8 loads for us. I am back and have done 2-4 loads per day this week. Does laundry ever go away??

Today I fished out of the hamper a pile of folded clean clothes that my grandson decided were dirty because he did not want to put them away when we were cleaning his room. It seems to me that history is repeating itself. About 20 years ago I went to gather up the dirty laundry and there in the basket of my daughter's room was a pile of clean fresh folded laundry mixed with the dirty.

That was it. Forget child labor laws. No more was I going to be the family maid. I lined those 6 kids up and put it out there. I will no longer do your laundry. I introduced them to the machine, showed them how to separate the load. Gave them each a day and warned that if they didn't do it it would not get done.

FREEDOM

To this day there is a note on the machine that my youngest wrote. It says:

Whites--hot
Colors--cold

Just in case we all forget!!


1 comment:

  1. I remember that. I was 5! And your youngest of the 6 was a newborn when you did this. Hence why he still needs the note, I'm surprised he remembered any of that tutorial that day!

    ReplyDelete