Wednesday, March 17, 2010

QUILTS

Five years ago, ladies from the area where we live labored to make 199 baby quilts to donate to Cincinnati Children's Hospital in the name of Caroline Elizabeth Anderson.

Caroline was born August 30, 2004, Michael and Kendra's 3rd child. They moved to Cincinnati, Ohio just before Caroline was born where the best doctors and hospital in the nation for Caroline's unique heart defect just happened to be. Caroline was born missing the left half of her heart--HLHS.

Caroline lived most of her 199 days at Cincinnati Children's Hospital. She was home for about 6 weeks where Michael and Kendra spent every hour of the day and night caring for her needs. When Caroline went back to the hospital they moved her into a full sized hospital bed. The staff there used baby sized quilts as sheets and bedding for the infants on the big beds. The larger beds gave them room to work around the child and the quilts defined the space and brightened the rooms.

So many people knew and loved Michael and Kendra and wanted to do something for them during that trying time. After my mother and I visited Caroline in the hospital we had 10 hours to visit in the car on the drive home. We decided that a good way to put our prayers into action was to start a quilt drive. Anyone who asked what they could do, more than prayers, we would tell them about the quilt drive.

Soon a friend showed up with 15 little blankets, one for every minute her daughter had lived. As the blankets came in we knew we could make the goal of one quilt for every day that Caroline lived.

Caroline passed away on March 16, 2005. She was 199 days old, it was our 32nd wedding anniversary. We had 8 grand children at the time. Caroline's brother Dallin was 3 and the oldest. Two were her same age, Alexandra was 9 months and Cooper was born the same week as Caroline. Caroline was teething, her mouth hurt, it was difficult for her to breathe, but she waited patiently for all of her grandparents to be there with her. As we talked of heaven and family she would light up and giggle.

I remember Kendra making preparations for the funeral and she seemed so peaceful and happy when I knew her heart was broken. As I visited with her she told me that today her daughter was joyful so she chose to be joyful with her. Kendra knew that in the days and years to come there would be days for crying and sadness, but that day she chose joy.

Today, along with my tears I too choose joy. Caroline blessed our lives with an eternal perspective I now understand better than I did before. Every time I look at a pretty quilt I think of my sweet angel and the stitches I sewed in tears as I prayed for my granddaughter and her parents.

Every day is an opportunity for choices no matter what the day offers. Thank you Kendra for an eternal perspective and reminding us that even in trying times we can...

CHOOSE JOY

1 comment:

  1. Such a precious little angel we were blessed with.

    ReplyDelete