Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I DO

In our family there are special family days when many things happen together. Today is one of those days. It is the story of eternal choices. New beginnings and earthly endings. Tomorrow I will tell you about a little angel named Caroline that continues to bless my life and inspire me and my family.

Today I will tell you about Marta and David. It is our anniversary--37 years.

We have been blessed with 6 children, 4 in the first 5 years we were married!! They have each chosen a delightful spouse that blesses their homes with love and joy. We have increased by 14 grand children with 2 more on the way to arrive in September.

My husband is a good man. He comes from a good family that I am proud to be a part of. We were married in the Los Angeles Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints on March 16, 1973.

These are some of our wedding day memories:

I lived with my parents in Yucaipa, California and my sweetheart lived with his aunt and uncle in San Bernardino. We were to be at the temple--a two hour drive--at 7 am. Our first visit to the temple for both of us was our wedding day. There was a lot to take in and remember. I arrived with my parents at the appointed hour but Dave and his best man were late. A traffic jam held them up on the freeway. David had all of the information we needed, marriage license etc. with him, including my temple recommend.

My mother was tired of waiting for David to show up and wanted to go inside. She was surprised to find out I did not have my recommend with me (you cannot enter the temple without one). I told her that if my sweetheart was not able to make it I didn't really have a reason to go inside at that time.

He finally arrived so we went inside and enjoyed the session with lots of our family. During the session I cried and cried. It all felt so right and I felt it deep in my soul. My grandmother was officiating at the session. She gave me a mint and tissue and told me to pull myself together.

We went straight to the sealing room after the session. David did not realize that he needed to bring the wedding rings with him so he sent his best man back to the dressing room to get them (I guess it did not make enough of an impression on him because he forgot to remind our youngest to bring his rings when he got married).

The reception was lovely and went smoothly except that I had to shake hands with my left hand. I had surgery on my hand just a few days before our wedding so my parents insurance would cover it. It didn't seem to cause too many problems except when Dave and I were at Sea World. He got excited and lightly squeezed my hand to show his delight and I SCREAMED in pain.

After a quick honeymoon weekend to San Diego we were back to school and work.

This is the first time in 37 years we will not be together. I am in Charlotte and he is in Cary. We talked about meeting half way in Rockingham...but alas, we will be together again this weekend. It is nice that after so many years--though it just seems like the blink of an eye--we still like to be together. He is my best friend.

I love him and he loves me, a good recipe for happily ever after.

1 comment:

  1. Well Happy Anniversary to two of our favorite people!!

    ReplyDelete